Tutorial for long items

Discussion in 'How To' started by streetriots, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. streetriots

streetriots New Member

I really loathe making items longer than bracelets due to the amount of cord that has to be pulled through each weave. I have tried numerous methods to make the process easier. I discovered that doing multiple overhand loop knots on entire length of one strand is easiest, unless you have a better way. Which if you do, please share it. I have included pictures to help explain it better. Using the method I explain it cut my time making leashes in half.

Picture 1 shows a basic cobra weave. The cord on the left side is left completely untangled off to the side. The cord on the right side is multiple overhand loop knots the entire length of the strand.

Picture 2 shows an S across the top of the core for the item you are making. You will not be pulling any of the strand on the left through each weave. It is crossed in the S figure so you won't have to pull it through. Pull the overhand looped cord through the top of the second loop then under the core and through the bottom of the first loop and tighten it.

Picture 3 shows the cord on the right passed through the S figure, leaving a loop on the right side. Pull the overhand looped cord under the core and through the final loop and tighten it.

Picture 4 shows the finished weave. Just repeat the process the entire length of the item you are making. Each time you get close to a knot on the overhand loop knot strand, just untie it and keep going.

If my photos and explanation are not good enough I will make a video to show what I am doing.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      39.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      45.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      47.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      43.6 KB
      Views:
  2. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

I don't really make long items out if paracord but if/when I do having tge long strands doesn't bother me.

How much time have you saved by using your method?

Have you gotten any knots using your method?

3. streetriots

streetriots New Member

Typically it takes me about 3 hours to make a leash. Using the method above it cuts my time down to 1.5-2 hours. It doesn't create any more knots, you do have to be careful when pulling the cord through so it doesn't snag on the cord that isn't knotted on the left side.

4. Cueball

Cueball New Member

Thanks for the tip. I wonder why you use a cobra weave for a leash, though. I usually just braid them.

5. streetriots

streetriots New Member

No reason in particular. Haven't tried other methods. How do you braid them?

6. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

A four strand brand would look nice.
    [​IMG]

7. Cueball

Cueball New Member

Three or Four Cord Braid

I agree with out host that a braid is the way to go for leashes. The 4 cord braid looks and feels best, but I've done many 3 cord braids for quick, cheap fixes for dog leashes.