Sword handle para wrap help

Discussion in 'Knots, Knots, Knots' started by Bauran, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Bauran

Bauran New Member

New so please if this needs to be in a different section to get a better responce please do not hesitate to relocate it.

Hi, I'm new to the forum but been doing para wraps a while. That said I have a project I want to tackle that is above my knowledge/experience and hoping I could find help here.

The sword handle if it helps is 12" long, 1" thick & 1-3/4 wide. I have 50' of cord, I hope it's enough but if not please let me know. Or if you know of a calculator or equations I can use to verify its enough I'd be much appreciated. I'm more than willing to work to get the info but if touvguys have it readily available all the better.

The wraps I am attempting are two, I've identified one as a turks head. The other, on the ends...I don't know. Picture below is what I am attempting.

[​IMG]

Of the two the one on the bottom is what I'm attempting. I'd like to thank whomever helps in advance, this forum has some extraordinary creations on it.

Also to add I have a permaloc needle if that helps

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. steven60

steven60 New Member

Looks sorta like 50 feet is not gonna be enough judging by you're picture.It looks fairly intricate for a 12"piece as wide as that I would get a 100' hank...for a first attempt better to have extra than not enuff , then next time you'll know what it takes.

3. Bauran

Bauran New Member

The cord I got is a 3/16 so a bit larger than I'm used to seeing.

However I still haven't gotten any info on how to accomplish this wrap. Does it require a jig Or can it be free hand done?

Again thanks for the help all

4. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Starting the Turks head on a homemade jig is the easiest way to getting that knot perfect.

Check out YouTube for tying the Turks with a jig.

5. steven60

steven60 New Member

I'm betting to make it look as good and tight like you're picture you're gonna have to do it by hand starting on the project itself.

6. Bauran

Bauran New Member

I found a 4 part how to on YouTube but it seems to gloss over large sections of the actual "how to" of it. That said I'll keep searching and also make a jig just in case I need it to get started. Thanks again

7. Bauran

Bauran New Member

Well not to proud to say this has kicked mt butt. Or rather, I need more practice. I reached to far so going to do a simpler over under type.

That turks just looks so friggin cool. All that said I really appreciate you guys taking the time.

8. Bauran

Bauran New Member

[​IMG]

Don't know how good the picture is bit this is what ibdecided. I can do it easy but time consuming.

Looking for feedback if it looks decent.

Please ignore the fray on it, it is the excess that will finish the prodict.

What it consists of is a dual straight line down the center then a wrap around, Thread in dealer one, then continue around to the other side to thread under to opposing.

It's essentially an under over wrap, keking it really tight along the way.be honest I respect your opinion, is it a good start?

pay attention to the rubber bands :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  9. steven60

steven60 New Member

Take the center core out so the cord lays flatter. There's a good tutorial on instructables.com on handle wrapping.

10. Bauran

Bauran New Member

So just do a wrap you think, no knots or designs just round and round? Sorry for my ignorance if that is not what you mean; if it is not could you find me a picture or name of the wrap and I'll do the research on it?

I'll do the work just need you to point the way

11. steven60

steven60 New Member

Yea i would probably have some kinda nice design as I hope you're not out pretending to be the highlander so you would want it to
    Look good .There is a step by step tutorial on paracord guild.com for handle/sword handle wrap.

12. steven60

steven60 New Member

Tried to upload the link but it's no go atm , most certainly operator error.

13. Bauran

Bauran New Member

Well...there CAN be only one...

The sword itself is a true carbon steel blade made for actual cutting but the original leather wrap got messed up/warn out from use. I just want to do a durable wrap that also accents how beautiful the blade is.

That said, this more along what you mean?

[​IMG]

http://m.instructables.com/id/Double-perfect-Whipped-Paracord-Staff-Hand-grip/

14. steven60

steven60 New Member

Maybe ones like these .. Just some I found on google images

15. Bauran

Bauran New Member

Yes I saw those, thank you. I'm doing a slight variation on the red one but the straight parts are more towards the center.

I'll show it when I get done.

Thanks for all the help/time.

16. Bauran

Bauran New Member

Well I got the wrap done and to me at least it looks nice. My problem, which I ask for you advice on, is how to finish it. It one continuous cord and I need a way to bind it so it will not come loone in the future.

I can upload pics if it helps but if you know of a "how to" or name of a certain technique I would be greatly appreciated.

Again thanks all for the help.

17. BYork

BYork New Member

Upload a picture so we know what you're talking about.

18. Bauran

Bauran New Member

the wrap is tight so the loose strings are loose as in free of the wrap. I'm asking for suggestions on what to do with these 4 strings to finish off the project and insure it will not come loose or worse unravelt.

[​IMG]

img]https://www.paracordforum.com/images/1/2/8/2/20150403_171540_resized-1-36.jpg[/img]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

Well it the wrap is to tight to tuck the cord inside I would try a fourstrand diamond knot