shrinkage of paracord 550

Discussion in 'General Paracord Discussion' started by meconium, Nov 30, 2014.

1. meconium

meconium New Member

Hello

I am new to the paracord and i have one question.
    I've paracord 550 bracelet and i would like to know if it shrinks when its wet.

I mean, when i will just regularly shower/bath with it, it will not be in boiling water, or in washing mashine (max 30degrees C).

I've read it will shrink by 1/4 of its length, but it sounds silly..and also that real 550 paracord never shrinks. Whats true about it?

Thank for replies.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  2. steven60

steven60 New Member

I haven't had an issue with it yet but I don't get it wet all the time either.I used to have a watch band with it that did get wet a lot with washing hands and such and it started to stink after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Paracord Forum

3. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

It depends on the manufacturer.
    My EDC bracelet that I had for over three years hasn't shrunk yet. I wear it outside and it's gotten wet numerous times from sweat, rain, washing hands, etc.

4. Nelson

Nelson New Member

I've read 5%. My experience is more like 7 to 8%. I try to avoid getting a paracord bracelet wet, but if you can't avoid it, I would pre-shrink the cord in scalding water until the water is warm, press it somewhat dry with paper towels, then hang it up to dry overnight prior to making the bracelet.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014