Rifle stock bandoleer

Discussion in 'Completed Projects & Ideas' started by meatness, Nov 25, 2014.

1. meatness

meatness New Member

I am brand new to this site and paracording in general. Hello everyone.

I got this idea in my head for my little Pre Bronco FIC .22 survival rifle. I want to make a stock bandoleer to easily carry rounds with the rifle when I am out and about.

The rifle itself was a hand me down from a very close uncle of mine and when he gave it to me it had a leather scabbard type bandoleer on the stock that held a couple of rounds. I am sure that he made it one late night while nursing a fifth of whiskey. It was functional but acquired some mildew over the years as leather will when not looked after.

My first thought was to grab some cordura and sew up something but I really like it when thing have multiple purposes. Especially if I am to carry them for an amount of time. So I did some searching around to see if this has been done and if anyone has documented the process. I found this little gem, beautiful work, but nothing on how it was done. I am sure the owner wants to protect his/her hard work. Which is fine by me but I am sure with a little work it could be replicated to my needs.
    http://cdn.instructables.com/FE8/DSYY/HJAHFVUE/FE8DSYYHJAHFVUE.LARGE.jpg

I am looking to adapt this or a similar design to looks something like this. This is not my rifle or picture.
    http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/arms...283131_01_sportsterized_mosin_carbine_640.jpg

Seeing as this seems like the place the experts go, I thought I would walk in and ask a favor. Anyone have any ideas how this could be accomplished? :)

This would be the rifle in question.

Attached Files:

2. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried searching YouTube for a video?

You could try the concept of a knife wrapping around the stock and in between each wrap weave in the part going left to right or right to left (Depending on which way your wrapping (from lock to stock or stock to lock) that will hold the bullets.

I never made one of these before so I'm just brainstorming here. I have done a knife wrapping before on a skeleton knife handle.
    [​IMG]

3. meatness

meatness New Member

Thank you for the welcome and also for putting some thought into it. I sat down last night and tried a few wraps that I could think of. So worked okay but getting the bandoleer part of the wrap seemed tricky for me. I will look at some knife wraps and see what I come up with there. I will post pics of my progress.

4. Sparky_D

Sparky_D I'm a frayed knot...

[​IMG]

This looks like a Double Solomon with a gutted pair strung through every other crossing pair.

I'd probably add a dab of glue or a tack stitch with needle and thread where they pass under so the loops don't shift as you remove rounds...

Nice little rifle you got there too.
    Haven't seen one of those for a long time...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  5. meatness

meatness New Member

Thank you Sparky. I do like the little rifle, I wish it was the tear down model to fit better in the pack but it is very packable as is.

You sure it's a Double Solomon? It looks like it is missing the center knots on the backside to be that. Although I watched a video on the Double Solomon just now and it looks like it would probably work.

I did find this video and the knot looks dead on to me. I wonder if I can get away with just the outside wrap around the stock.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szkD838okTU[/ame]

6. meatness

meatness New Member

So here is what I came up with. I still need to figure out how I want to finish it off. I am thinking of continuing the weave to keep everything tight and have as long of a piece of paracord as possible on the stock of the rifle. I do like how simple it looks now though. I usually lean toward function over form. I think it turned out alright, thanks for the help.

As far as the loops moving around. I locked them in with a weave on the top and bottom so they shouldn't move that direction. I am hoping that the loops will stay fairly uniform with use. If that ends up not the case I will stitch each loop down with some thread as you suggested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  7. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Nice work. How easy/hard is it to remove/replace the bullets?

8. Sparky_D

Sparky_D I'm a frayed knot...

That looks quite impressive (and functional).

Well done!

9. meatness

meatness New Member

Thanks MrParacord, The rounds are just about right, it's a little tight to get them in and out but because the rifle spends it's life strapped to a pack that is a good thing. Nothing anyone couldn't deal with though.

Thanks Sparky_D for your input and your compliment.

10. meatness

meatness New Member

Here is the hatchet that I found in the mud years ago, it was very rusty but solid at the core. The handle was steel and it is made in USA so I took the time to restore it, it holds a very sharp edge and is light weight. The leather sheath was the old bandoleer on the rifle that was falling apart. I turned a pummel on the lathe and welded it to the handle, then wrapped the whole handle with 550 paracord.

Ready for spring and some lightweight exploring.

Attached Files:

11. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

That's a nice looking hatchet. I'm glad the bandoleer is working out for you.