Paracord too Flat and compressed

Discussion in 'General Paracord Discussion' started by Peter, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Peter

Peter New Member

Hello Paracorders,

I have a big Problem.
    I bought a couple 165 feet Paracord Rolls.
    The problem is the Paracord is really tight on the Roll so if i take it off the Roll its Really Flat and compressed.

Is there any Trick to get the Paracord Round again and give it its volume back ? maybe washing it or something like that ?

Hope someone knows a Trick for this Problem.

best regards Peter

2. Ready_Cords

Ready_Cords New Member

Seems like some cord has a bit larger/looser sheath, and has that flat profile, while some fits a little tighter and is more round. That may have more to do with it than how it's packed on the roll, but I don't know for sure. I had a hank of red one time that was so flat I just quit using it and relegated it to clothesline duty. It just wouldn't work together with any other cord I had.

The only thing I know of that *might* work is to drop it into a pot of boiling water for ten seconds or so. That will cause everything to shrink up some, and while you'll lose up to 20-30% of length, it might do what you want. My understanding is that this doesn't damage the cord as long as you don't leave it in there too long. It's also the trick to getting a nice tight wrap on something like a tool handle without pulling all your joints out of socket.

Hope that helps.

3. devilssoninlaw

devilssoninlaw New Member

That being said, what would be a good weave for flat cord or shoe lace? Any ideas?

4. Ready_Cords

Ready_Cords New Member

Would probably work better with true woven patterns, such as a fishtail or trilobite weave.

5. Trab9000

Trab9000 New Member

Just tie with it. It will become round when you pull and tighten it.

6. Wasp

Wasp New Member

You can try melting one end and not the other, then from the melted end pull the cord through your fingers (fingers pressed together), this may work some of the sheath down which may tighten it up, you may have to do it a few times. If it works your sheath will be longer than your guts, cut off the excess sheath and burn.

A lot of times it just has to do with the quality of cord or how good/tight of a weave the machine got the yarns. I seem to have the worst trouble with stuff like silver or gray, but I thing it has more to do with manufacturing than a color. Try the technique I mentioned.