New User with Ambitious Project

Discussion in 'General Paracord Discussion' started by prairiefire, Jun 8, 2015.

1. prairiefire

prairiefire New Member

I've just started working with paracord to make dog products. I've done a a couple collars and want to do a leash for a friend.

The leash I have in mind is a police lead. It is supposed to be 8' long with a bolt snap on each end, 2 fixed D-rings and a floating O-ring.

I plan on doing a King cobra weave with 550 cord and I'm having trouble figuring out how much cord I will need. I did a 10" buckle collar with 325 and used 21' of cord but not sure how that will translate into 96" leash with two cords (two colors). Would 100' of cord in each color be enough?

The leash (and a matching martingale) are for a 90lb Labraidiot. Super friendly, young, and no concept of self-control or personal space.

2. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Just use the one foot for every inch rule and you should be fine.

3. steven60

steven60 New Member

For a beginner consider a little more that 1 foot per inch for a king cobra till you get the feel for what each weave takes , some need a touch more. Try 16" per foot

4. Ready_Cords

Ready_Cords New Member

I do my king cobras very tight, and it still takes me about 15"-16" per inch of finished product.

5. prairiefire

prairiefire New Member

Thank you.

I guess the next part is finding turquoise cord (in Canada) long enough for the leash.

6. prairiefire

prairiefire New Member

Thanks Ready Cord,

But I'm just looking in Canada right now. When I order from the States everything ends up being a lot more expensive than the list price. Between the crappy dollar and duty/import taxes the price/foot is insane.:eyebulge:

I've purchased from a place local that may be able to get it, but I just wonder what that special order would cost me. He's got a lot of the same colors listed in 100' lengths that are listed on wholesaleparacord. They may be his supplier.

8' leash x 12 inches/foot = 96" x 16" of cord/inch = 1536" of cord or 128'. I might just have to make her a black & red one to go with her other collar.