Monkeys Fist Lanyard

Discussion in 'Completed Projects & Ideas' started by MrParacord, May 2, 2015.

1. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

I thought I posted this when I first made this Monkeys Fist lanyard last year.

But since I can't find it here it is now.
    I made this because I like the monkey fist and also because I like the four strand round braid. I don't remember the exact amount of paracord used to make this (since it's been over a year ago) but the core is a 1 inch steel ball.

When it's a lanyard it measures about 24 inches. In defense form it's around 40 inches long.

I can swing this and hit targets with very good accuracy. I designed this as a self defense device that's why it's 40 inches long and have a 1 inch steel ball inside.

I wore this outside last year a few times while walking since you are always supposed to have situational awareness taking this from around your neck, out of your pocket, etc gives you plenty of time to turn this from a lanyard to a self defense tool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

Wow that definitely has a good reach giving yourself the advantage ...awesome!!

3. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

Your welcome Mr paracord

4. Bauran

Bauran New Member

Thank you for this thread, my next project is going to be a monkey fist and I was unsure what size steel core to start with. If you had it to do again would you go larger?

I ask because I was just about to commit to a 1-1/2" solid steel ball but if 1" is sufficient, i.e. it was good enough for you I may just get one of those. Maybe a 1-1/4?

Being that you have already done a finished product I value you input. Thanks in advance for the answer/info.

5. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

I had plans to make one using a golf ball because when I ordered the 1 inch steel ball I thought that would be big enough but I wish it I had an 1-1/2 steel core.

6. edtactical

edtactical New Member

Nice lanyard!! I make them just about like that. I used a 1.5 inch steel ball. Nice big fist. Used a decorative knot for the slide and a smaller one for the stop, which prevents the loop from pulling all the way through. Golf balls also work great, which are like 1.6" and change. New to the site...just looking around. Some great stuff here.

Mike

Attached Files:

7. Bauran

Bauran New Member

I found a 2" steel ball for $20 on amazon; that just rediculously to big or good/ok?

●edit - it weighs 1.6 lb.

I like it...I like it alot

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  8. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

Get it I use a question ball in my monkeyfist and its tottaly awesome and its 2 1/2 inches of knock out on a rope lol

9. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

I would try looking on eBay first then if you can't find one for less then get the one from Amazon.

10. edtactical

edtactical New Member

You can get 1.5 inch bearings on sgtknots.com for $1.50 each. Sizes from a half inch to 1.5 inch. Best prices I've found anywhere. Everywhere else gets crazy when you get over an inch it seems. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Mike

11. Bauran

Bauran New Member

This is correct, I found a hammer forged, obviously not perfectly round, but why would it need to be? 2-1/2 for $12.99 and a monster 3" for $17ish.

The question then becomes "how big is to big"? I'd imagine at those sizes a 1/4", 5/16" or even 3/8" cord may be better suited than standard paracord. But this would be first...any advice / thoughts?

Could standard paracord be wrapped tight enough for good coverage and not look disproportionate?

Added question,
    What's the best size for for a Keychain fist wrapped in para?

12. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

You could use the standard size paracord. You just have to make enough passes to cover the core completely without any gaps. (that might require some trial and error)

For a keychain I would use whatever you're comfortable carrying.

I planned on selling keychain Monkey Fists last year and I made two samples to test. I made one with red and black (red is my favorite color) and I gave that one to my mom to test since she loves red.

The one in the pic was my first one made (both of them have a 5/8 inch steel ball which I feel is good enough for a keychain) using scrap cord from my making my daughter's belt. (that is why it's purple).

[​IMG]

13. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

14. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

It's purple and od green.

15. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

Opps my bad lol love purple and od green hehe

16. sbarnhardt

sbarnhardt Genuine Certified Old F_ _ _!

Just a thought here!

With these things being what they would seem to be with steel balls and all inside and made to lengthen out for greater reach/force etc., I'm left wondering what the exposure would be to them being a violation of "carrying a concealed weapon" laws? They are, by and large, a more modern incarnation of the old "slap jack" of old which is, in some areas, a violation.

Just food for thought!!

17. streetriots

streetriots New Member

I don't carry mine as a weapon, it's a self defense tool.

18. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Mines is a Monkey Fist necklace. ;)