Military project that will never be completed.

Discussion in 'Completed Projects & Ideas' started by streetriots, Jan 24, 2015.

1. streetriots

streetriots New Member

I am currently underway in a project/idea of mine that consists of making paracord items for members of the US military. I came across some American flag paracord and got the idea of making things for members of the military, retired or active duty. I also purchased acu camo, iraqi vet, afghan vet and vietnam vet colored cord. The items I make will be completely free to members of the military. I reached out to my local VA hospitals volunteer services dept to see if I could come in and make bracelets for service members that may want them. I am also going to reach out to a local range that does military appreciation days and see if they'll let me come in and make items on the days they offer discount. I also plan on sending some out in care packages to service members that are deployed.

As the title says, it will never be complete. I will continue to make these items for as long as I am blessed with a job that I can afford to fund it out of pocket.

Attached Files:

2. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

That is very thoughtful of you.

3. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

Support our troops !! I love your consideration and I will use it for inspiration I also would like to try my hand at this

4. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

Where did you get the American flag paracord by the way?

5. streetriots

streetriots New Member

Amazon.com, it was 50 bucks for 1000'. They sell 100' hanks for 8-9 bucks. They list it by a couple of different names, stars and stripes is one of them, I forget the others. I usually from Paracord Planet or the Outdoor Bunker. They send coupon codes to use to get 100' free when you order 300'.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. streetriots

streetriots New Member

[​IMG]

I'm distributing these at the VA tomorrow. So far there is 182, I'm going to make some more tonight and take my stuff to make some there.

7. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Wow. That is a lot of bracelets.

I hope everyone enjoys them.

8. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

And I'm proud to be an American were at least I know I'm free!!!

9. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

Awesome brother good freakn work !!!

10. streetriots

streetriots New Member

My girlfriend and I gave out 146 bracelets in total. I learned many things from it and will make improvements on what I learned.

11. ThePrepDerp2

ThePrepDerp2 New Member

That's a great thing to do.

12. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

That's nice.

13. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

Hmm I think the most difficult part is making deferent wrist sizes to make sure everyone can wear one comfortably

14. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

I can see how that could be a problem.

If you have two or more people with you then one person can take the bracelet orders and measure the wrist then collect the money (if it applies)

Then the person making the bracelets just fills bracelet orders non stop.

The third person can help take orders and pass out the finished product. Or split the job of the first person.

Also you can have two people making bracelets with the other person taking orders.

I've seen it go both ways before but it is definitely better with two or more people.

15. streetriots

streetriots New Member

That was one of the most difficult parts. I had made assorted sizes from 7.25 inches to 9.5 inches. I Googled the average wrist size for males and females, then I made more those sizes than the smaller and larger bracelets. I only made a few on site, while my girlfriend was distributing them.

I have seen a design that is adjustable. I'm going to see how much longer it would take to make them that way to see if it's worth it.

16. Deek550

Deek550 New Member

I've seen some with a Velcro Strap, that may work out nice. Gives you some ability to adjust to perfect comfort.

17. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

Also take not that thickness of bracelet adds on to measurement I myself have 7 3/4 inch wrist and all my bracelets that fit snug measure to 8 3/4 with loose fit its like 8 7/8 I find most males fill comfortable wearing a 9 inch bracelet and most females 7 3/4 to 8 inch try measuring your wrist and bracelet to take note of deference I add about an inch to every measurement when using the cobra style weave so far its paid off haven't been wrong since I started this method

18. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

And Velcro's good I just don't like the way it eventually wears out

19. streetriots

streetriots New Member

With the amount of bracelets I make for my project, it isn't cost effective to use the Velcro straps. It costs about 50 cents in materials to make them now, using those would make each around $2.

20. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Yeah unless you can get the velcro at wholesale prices then that $1.50 difference isn't worth it unless your willing to raise your prices to cover the increase.

Or tell your customers that you do offer velcro and that it will be an extra charge.