lanyards n beads

Discussion in 'Completed Projects & Ideas' started by HardcoreSlot, May 6, 2015.

1. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

So, I've been drooling over these lanyard beads like the ones that you find on BladeHQ and the like, for the longest time.
    but being the tinkerer and hobbiest that I am I decided to make my own.
    These are just the first couple I've made and I hope to get a little more elaborate as I turn a few more.

Attached Files:

2. bigtexprepper

bigtexprepper New Member

Gives a nice look to the knife definitely a thumbs up here

3. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Nice! I like the second one the most. How did you make those? Did you use a lathe?

4. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

Thanks guys,
    Actually I just use regular alum round bar i got at home depot and my drill press as the lathe.
    to make the hole the full length I first chuck up a drill bit upside down.
    then put my drill press clamp on the press' table then clamp on to the bit and losen the chuck. this holds the bit straight and square with the stock.
    then i chuck up a short piece of the stock in the press and line the bit up and press the stock into the bit. That way i can control the speed better.
    After the hole is drilled I use calipers to lay out where I want my grooves and use a hack saw blade and files to cut the grooves.
    I still need to figure out how to smooth and polish them better, also want to annodize them pretty colors too, but that seems to be a process I dont really want to invest tooo much into.

also, here are some wood ones that I put on my last batch of knives.

Attached Files:

5. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

You make knives? Those are really nice looking.

6. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

Yes sir! The knives above are kind of the flagship model that I do, but I can do all shapes and sizes providing that I can heat treat them..
    here are the few that I've got going now. They are forged from large horseshoe rasps.
    I also make the leather sheaths that i put them in.

Attached Files:

7. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Do you have any videos showing the durability of your knives like how Cold Steel shows off?

8. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

haha, not so much.
    I've done some standard camp tests as well as a lot of edge retention tests.
    They get sharp and stay that way as long as you arent abusing it too badly. As far as lateral stress tests or anything like that I havent delved into greatly, tho i did hammer test the materials.
    The files before they are forged and treated are tuff but brittle and broke cleanly after a few strikes of a big hammer.
    after heat treating the brittleness is gone but the hardness stays pretty well.
    Ive yet to chip an edge only roll a little when i dropped it squarely on a big rock.
    My handles are epoxy and pinned and made from oak that is stabilized with wood hardener and coated with linseed oil to keep enough moisture in them to keep them from drying and cracking. I think that if you tweaked the blade enough you could prolly pop the handles off of the epoxy but the brass set pins would hold them secure enough.