A few projects

Discussion in 'Completed Projects & Ideas' started by Holly, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Holly

Holly New Member

These are just a few things I've made. I'm still a newbie. I got started with paracord because my husband asked me to make him a paracord necklace to hold his wedding ring.
    [​IMG]

My first bracelet
    [​IMG]

Rifle sling for my husband. Started as a sling/bandolier but it didn't look nice.
    [​IMG]

Deadpool style. My son picked them out, but he wanted our favorite colors, and we all had to have one. He calls them our "family bracelets"
    [​IMG]

Golf Stroke Counters
    [​IMG]

Grenade. About 13 feet of cord.
    [​IMG]

2. Ready_Cords

Ready_Cords New Member

That is some good work. Just a couple tips for you:

You should use a breakaway clasp on a necklace for safety. With 550 lb. test cord around your neck, you want something to give way pretty easily if it gets caught on anything.

Also, when a buckle or other piece of hardware is wider than 2 strands, you can make extra wraps at the attachment to fill the width of the buckle, or whatever, and to keep it from sliding back and forth.

Some very good work though!

3. Kdawg3030

Kdawg3030 New Member

Very nice work I love the golf stroke counters and the dead pool bracelets [emoji6][emoji106]

4. Holly

Holly New Member

Thanks so much for the compliments and input.

On the necklace... my husband felt as though the buckles were cheap enough they'd break if caught up. Plus he only wears it a day or two out of the week when he's off work.
    The hardware width... what recommendations would you have to fill the space? Would you do a 4 strand core? I couldn't come up with a way to use the space. When possible, I like to try to use a single strand of cord.

I enjoy learning from others, so thank you for any info.

5. havasu

havasu On permanent vacation

Great work Holly!

6. Ready_Cords

Ready_Cords New Member

It's true that the plastic buckle will break under enough pressure, but it still might be enough to make you VERY uncomfortable before it happens, and maybe injure you. You can get small side-release style safety clasps that are designed to separate at only 20 lbs. of pressure. They won't come undone without a good tug, but they're a lot safer.

As for filling buckle width, I usually try to match the buckle to the number of core strands I plan to use. That means 1/2" for 2 strands, 5/8" for 4 strands. But, there is a way to do it without adding extra core strands.

Let's say you want to make a 2 strand bracelet on a 5/8" buckle. You hitch the cord around one side of the buckle, and then run the ends through the other side, like normal. But, then you loop both ends around and go right back through the buckle on that side, filling the buckle with 4 strands before you start knotting/braiding/weaving or whatever. Once you get back to the other end, pass the loose ends through that side of the buckle again before you tuck them under on the back of the bracelet.

Hope that makes sense.

7. Holly

Holly New Member

Thank you havasu.

Ready_Cords, I will likely look into getting some safety clasps for future projects. It does worry me. His necklace was a first project. Improve as I learn and practice.
    Your explanation on filling width does make sense. I will give that a try. Thanks.

8. frodo

frodo knots knots knots

i like the weave on your wrist,

9. Holly

Holly New Member

10. frodo

frodo knots knots knots

11. Holly

Holly New Member

[​IMG]

Tried to come up with a way to store our sunglasses in our new Camaro that has ZERO storage space.
    Came up with this, but the car also lacks visibility. The last thing we need is something dangling in our line of sight. So I ended up giving it to a friend. He says it works perfectly in his RAM.

12. frodo

frodo knots knots knots

I have an idea you can try, If your game.
    you need a 1x6 board about 3ft long
    pencil, hammer, finish nails, the kind without a head

about 3'' from the end of the board, make a mark,

measure glasses, say its 8'' add another 8'' then 1/2 of 8'' , 20'' total

from your mark, measure 20'' make a mark

FH06SEP_DRALIN_99.jpg

weave 002.jpg

case paracord 001.jpg

fold it over on to itself, stitch the sides
    put your glasses in it, throw it on the dash, let it slide around lol

13. Holly

Holly New Member

I may try that project for something else. I like it. But letting it slide around on the dash I fear will quickly become annoying. Haha.