4 strands at 40 ft each

Discussion in 'How To' started by shoot2live, Jun 28, 2015.

1. shoot2live

shoot2live New Member

A friend of mine requested 2 thin ropes to use as Muay Thai hand wraps. I didn't know what or how I could do something comfortable enough to fit through each finger. After extensive research and discussion, I decided gutting the paracord would be best, but I would need 6 or more strands.
    Gutting 320ft of paracord is so much fun, I wish never to do it again and buy the coreless paracord next time.
    I tried doing a 8 strand Gaucho braid; I ended up tangled in 160ft of paracord nearly suffocating myself. :/
    I tried twisting each strand then braiding a 4 strand round braid, but coreless paracord doesn't twist as well.
    I tried a 6 strand basic 3 part braid, then I found That an easy 4 strand round braid instructional video.
    Braiding long strands is far more difficult than shorter strands because the bottom braids with each pass on the top braid.

Does anyone have any suggestions to keep the strands from twisting up on each other?

Keep in mind, this is a stand alone rope, so no buckles, D-rings, keychains, or clasps are being used.

2. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Sounds like you had a fun time.

Next time (if there is a next time) try using the backs of chairs to keep the strands from getting tangled.

3. shoot2live

shoot2live New Member

I want to try making a rope making machine.

4. Trab9000

Trab9000 New Member

Check this out. A braiding machine made with the European version of an Erector Set.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s376KrNvbY[/ame]

5. Trab9000

Trab9000 New Member

HEre is a french braid machine:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvBJmw_Di_U[/ame]

6. shoot2live

shoot2live New Member

7. shoot2live

shoot2live New Member

My fiancé doesn't let me play with sharp objects, tools, or anything else when he's at work because I tend to acquire numerous cuts and scrapes and use unfathomable quantities of bandaids. He claims, "You get cuts from air." lol