What kind to buy?

Discussion in 'Cord Types & Questions' started by CalHike, Mar 28, 2014.

1. CalHike

CalHike New Member

Alright so I'm jumping into paracord and want to make two dog collars. Now, I'm going to need a bit of rope. For the smaller dog I'm going to do the King Cobra to make it fairly thick. The other dog is a great white behemoth and has a twenty-inch neck (His current collar is set to twenty inches) and weighs around a hundred pounds. For him I was going to go a little crazy and weave a double King Cobra (as in two king cobras knotted together. Instructions here: http://paracordprojectsguide.com/how-to-make-a-paracord-dog-collar/ Second video.) Big dog with a big collar. He needs a handle.

About how much paracord will I need? Smaller (relatively) dog is going to need a 14.5 inch collar (I measured her collar without the length of the buckle.) Also what size buckle will I need for these?

2. DaBigKahuna

DaBigKahuna New Member

Cobras generally run about 1 for per inch of weave. The second weave for a King Cobra runs about the same. So figure 2 ft per in for the king. Never tried a double king but this should give you a starting point. I always give myself an extra foot on a bracelet because you don't want to come up short. I'd probably add another 2-3 ft for a dog color for the same reason.

3. DaBigKahuna

DaBigKahuna New Member

Another thought. King Cobras are thick so you're gonna want enough length to account for the thickness.

4. CalHike

CalHike New Member

I was going to give around 1/4 to a 1/2 extra for breathing room since their collars are thinner nylon right now.

5. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Now be careful with this measurement and account for shrinkage (seeing as some paracord shrinks a little)

Also on how much to use I go with the 1 foot for every inch rule.

6. Mil_HandF

Mil_HandF New Member

I add at least an inch to bracelets, so you want to add a little more then that, you have to calculate in the loss of the area the thicker you get! Don't choke your dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Paracord Forum

7. DaBigKahuna

DaBigKahuna New Member

You can also preshrink the paracord by putting it in boiling water for a minute or so then letting it dry.

8. JAFO_Paracord

JAFO_Paracord New Member

Just remember the thicker the bracelet the longer you need to make it. I think another mate already mentioned that but not sure.

~The best survival paracord is the one you never have to use~.