Squirrel hunting

Discussion in 'Outdoor Recreation' started by catfish, Sep 8, 2014.

1. catfish

catfish New Member

What a trooper. My son broke his arm. He broke the ulna and radius bones near his wrist falling off his skateboard Saturday.
    Less than 24 hours later, he asked to go shooting to get ready for squirrel season.
    Season starts the 15 as well as fall turkey.
    He goes in next Monday for a full cast as this one is a half cast till swelling goes down.
    (Picture of his first squirrel from last year)

Attached Files:

2. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Wow. I never been hunting before.

3. catfish

catfish New Member

My son got me re woke my interest in hunting 2 yrs ago. I lost around 100 pounds to get back out. It's been 22 Yrs since I stopped
    He wanted to go deer hunting but we don't own land and I refuse to deer hunt state land.
    My brother n law and sister let us hunt small game ,turkey and coyote.... but no deer.

4. JTB_Cord

JTB_Cord New Member

I like when people ask me "How can you kill innocent deer and animals?" I tell them their perception of hunting is 100% wrong. I don't go out there to kill a deer or other animals, I go out there to be away from the city, to work the land, to hear the silence, to watch a new day wake up, to see natures un-caged animals. 99% of hunting for me is the preparation. The last 1% is the healthier, unaltered, chemical free, wild game for my freezer and family.

Keep Twisting!
    JTB Cords

5. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Sounds like camping to me. Except for the last 1%.

6. JTB_Cord

JTB_Cord New Member

EXACTLY!

Keep Twisting!
    JTB Cords

7. catfish

catfish New Member

For hunting, I've taught my son, if you shoot it you eat it. No shooting just to shoot it. That's what targets are for.
    He hasn't got a turkey yet, but last year squirrel season he got a lot of squirrels. His best shot was just under 50 yards with my old ruger 1022 with the old Bushnell sportsview scope in the above picture. I think I paid $89 for that 22 in 1984

8. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

If only we could see those kind of gun prices today.

9. catfish

catfish New Member

We finally had a chance to get out squirrel hunting when I came home off the road for a few days last weekend.
    We seen a fox and black squirrel about an hour after sitting , but to far out to hit.
    Then the grey squirrel come scurrying in about 40 foot from us. Then Mr fox squirrel showed up about 50 yards.
    My son got the grey with his Remington 870 20 Guage. And I got the fox with my Mossberg 835 12 Guage. We need a couple more for squirrel and dumplings.

Attached Files:

10. frodo

frodo Moderator

under the arm pit, is a small gland, make sure you remove that gland when you clean your tree rat
    that is that gamey taste no one likes, remove it, no gamey taste

my back yard

082.JPG
    075.JPG

see the 2 turkeys ?
    308.jpg
    I hunt with a camera during the off season

11. bluesoda

bluesoda New Member

Great father-son hunting thread.