Snares

Discussion in 'General Paracord Discussion' started by Vin, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Vin

Vin Admin

I have built several snares using paracord. One of my favorites was the "bow snare."

I made this one a while back using solid 550, but it freaked me out so I took it down right after I made it. This snare is scary business.

[​IMG]

2. Neeco

Neeco New Member

looks knarly. and slightly dangerous.

3. shaman

shaman New Member

That's a man killer trap that may come in very handy in the future. I suggest that all study this trap and practice making it, however please don't use this unless there is a dire need

4. paracordist

paracordist New Member

Looks dangerous,I love making snares ,and I have about 20 acres of woods that are rabbit and coyote infested but I have 1 dog and 3 cats and the neighbors have 3 dogs and 1 cat ,I'm just afraid that I'll catch one of them.

5. Vin

Vin Admin

You guys are both correct. This trap is a man killer, and you should only use it in dire situations. Never leave this trap un-sprung if you leave the area, and never use it where there might be people.

If there are people around, then there is no need for it as you are rescued! YAY!

6. greyhounds24

greyhounds24 New Member

exactly how does this snare work?

7. Vin

Vin Admin

The snare works with a trigger and trip wire. The snare is generally placed around a bend or curve in a animal path. When the animal trips the wire, it release the bolt. Generally the trip wire will be directly in front of the bolt.

Here's an excerpt from wilderness-survival.net.

A bow trap is one of the deadliest traps. It is dangerous to man as well as animals (Figure 8-14). To construct this trap, build a bow and anchor it to the ground with pegs. Adjust the aiming point as you anchor the bow. Lash a toggle stick to the trigger stick. Two upright sticks driven into the ground hold the trigger stick in place at a point where the toggle stick will engage the pulled bow string. Place a catch stick between the toggle stick and a stake driven into the ground. Tie a trip wire or cordage to the catch stick and route it around stakes and across the game trail where you tie it off (as in Figure 8-14). When the prey trips the trip wire, the bow looses an arrow into it. A notch in the bow serves to help aim the arrow.

8. J-Will

J-Will ermahgerd perrkerd

Dang that is pretty intense... and now I'm googling different traps lol

9. Vin

Vin Admin

Frealz. Wilderness-survival.net pretty much posted stuff from the Army Field Guide manual. FM-21-76 or something like that. They added some other cool stuff as well.

I have a PDF copy of the FM 21-76 and a few others kept on my phone.

10. J-Will

So they actually used this stuff in the past? You keep the PDF copy next to your Epub Twilight copies? :p

11. Vin

Vin Admin

For sure. Field guide for survival in the wild, and Twilight for survival/understanding of sparkly vampires and hunky wolves.

12. J-Will

You're well prepared