Shift Knob! Yes, it's possible!

Discussion in 'Completed Projects & Ideas' started by Vin, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Vin

Vin Admin

Here is a shift knob cover I made. I took the original factory knob, and cut away the rubber. I was left with a plastic blank. I used a standard basket weave to complete it.

[​IMG]

2. BigPurpleJeep

BigPurpleJeep New Member

Got a write up or how to? I really want to do this one to my Jeep as well. I popped out the shift pattern thing years ago and now it's ugly.

3. mike

mike New Member

Does it slip?

4. Vin

Vin Admin

No Sir, because it tapers down towards the bottom it can't slip up. I recommend anyone do this because it's super easy and looks really cool.

I am curious if anyone else has done something similar.

5. J-Will

J-Will ermahgerd perrkerd

I love this idea. I have never attempted a weave like this. Any pointers? I want to try this with the extra grey 550 I have left from my sling.

6. paracordist

paracordist New Member

Wow man that's awesome .I wish I could do that,but I have a automatic transmission and I have to press a button to shift.I might could braid my emergency brake.this forum has given me so many ideas.

7. J-Will

J-Will ermahgerd perrkerd

Something like this around your ebrake handle would be cool!

Attached Files:

8. Vin

Vin Admin

Yep. Just use glue to glue like 5 or 6 strands down the length of the shifter. Then, start at the top in the middle, and start weaving over and under the strands.

What I did was grab a length of paracord, tied a knot in the end, shoved it down in the shift knob, glued the lengths of cord, then started weaving.

I really which I would have taken pictures. Ill see if I can come up with some drawings or something.. :)