Sealing Paracord

Discussion in 'General Paracord Discussion' started by HardcoreSlot, Mar 5, 2014.

1. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

Say I have a knife.
    and say I want to put a paracord wrap on the handle.
    aaand say that this knife was going to be used for some gooey, bloody, messy things.
    Has anyone used any kind of sealant on paracord to keep it from soaking up unwanted yuck?
    maybe like snowseal wax for boots and shoes?
    or a liquid sealant like something for wood?

I know most of the time the purpose of a paracord wrap is to have a length but this will be all of about a foot on this knife, so thats not real important.

2. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

I never tried sealing paracord before but if the knife was going to get that messy I wouldn't bother wrapping the handle.
    BUT since we are talking about you and not me I would suggest taking a scrap piece of paracord and wrap it around a stick/piece of wood, then seal the paracord with whatever sealant you have then get the paracord all messy and after it dries or you rinse it off see what happens paracord and to the stick underneath the paracord wrap.

My point is with using a stick/piece of wood is to test if you will get a lot of staining underneath the paracord wrap. Because later on that could start to stink, rust, etc.

3. Brian

Brian New Member

I've seen wax for weather proofing jackets might be worth a check on line

Brian

4. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

I did think of that.. I was hoping maybe the sealant would seal to the metal, but i just dont think it will.
    Maybe some paracord micarta is in order...
    Or plasti-dip the handle first and wrap the sealed cord around that...
    HMMM...........

5. puertorico321

puertorico321 New Member

Would scotchguard ( spray can type) be of any help? Maybe polyurethane but that woud be rough on the grip, I'd think.

Sent from my iPad using Paracord Forum

6. Vin

Vin Admin

:freakout: :eek:

7. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

8. Vin

Vin Admin

Your original post about wanting to blood stain a knife wrapped in paracord. I was being humorous. I am not funny today. :cry:

9. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Vin I went looking to see when HardcoreSlot posted that post that you quoted. LOL!

10. Vin

Vin Admin

Yeah, the old "forum quote switcharoo" always makes me laugh. :D

11. Mil_HandF

Mil_HandF New Member

I have never tried, might be worth looking into though! Epoxy maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Paracord Forum

12. 2GuysPara-Cord

2GuysPara-Cord New Member

Mink oil it... Buy some from a local boot shop... It will smell bad but so will deer guts

Sent from my iPad using Paracord Forum

13. twbranch

twbranch New Member

Anyone ever tried the stuff they use to seal shoes (can't think of what it is called). I use it on my Vans and the mud and crud wipe right off.