Reflective Paracord?

Discussion in 'Cord Types & Questions' started by Vin, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Vin

Vin Admin

Ok, so my experience goes with buying paracord from my local military surplus. Super cheap. However, since I moved to Chicago, that's a no go.

I was perusing the internet and I saw "reflective" paracord.

Anyone have experience with this? I see it's value, but do you think the chemical used to make it reflective, or the threads are as strong and resistant to wear as generic paracord?

2. ARA

ARA New Member

I've bought reflective cord from Supply Captain and its pretty good. The reflective strands are made from different material and can fray. Looks really cool though

3. Vin

Vin Admin

Have any pictures of it you can post? The fraying is exactly what I was afraid of with this stuff. I think, maybe, it's more of a novelty than for heavy use.

4. ARA

ARA New Member

At work right now, will post later when at home. Its not too bad but yes would definitely not recommend for any task where safety would be compromised. It is rated round 350 pounds of weight. So the description is accurate as to its capability.

5. Vin

Vin Admin

Hey ARA,

Did you ever get those pics? I am looking forward to seeing it.

6. MidwestCord

MidwestCord New Member

It is strange that your reflective paracord is only rated for 350lbs, do you know what brand of cord that is? The Reflective cord I have is standard 550 Paracord. I have seen the reflective strip of the cord frayed before, but only as part of a manufacturing defect, the same type of defect that can and does occur in regular paracord as well. As far as being made with a chemical, I cannot say with 100% certainty, but it seems like the only thing that makes it reflective is having a strip of reflective material braided onto the normal cord.

I will attach two pictures, the neon pink reflective is manufactured by gladding, [​IMG]

the black reflective is manufactured by Atwood [​IMG]

Here is hoping I did the pictures properly! : )

7. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

So does the reflective paracord last as long and is as durable as regular paracord?

8. MidwestCord

MidwestCord New Member

It is the same as normal paracord, just with a reflective strand. The reflective strand holds up quite well to normal wear, pretty much the same as normal paracord.

I can send you a sample in the mail if you want to check it out!

9. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

I might just order some. Thanks for offering to send me some.

10. J-Will

J-Will ermahgerd perrkerd

I want to make a few with this as well. Thanks for the heads up Midwest

11. bmt_fire

bmt_fire New Member

I ordered a 1000' roll of the black. It works great at night. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  12. MidwestCord

MidwestCord New Member

I took this picture of the reflective, it is a terrible picture, but it really shows off the reflective tracers![​IMG]

13. superfluities

superfluities New Member

Im seeing a black X-out instead of the pics. Is it just me?

14. truggles

truggles Junior Member

I'm not getting the images either... Idk what its all about.

15. havasu

havasu On permanent vacation

Image test....

Attached Files:

16. havasu

havasu On permanent vacation

The best way is to click on the "go advanced" tab below, then insert a downloaded pic from the "manage attachments" tab.

17. superfluities

superfluities New Member

I see that picture

18. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

I only see havasu pic.

19. bmt_fire

bmt_fire New Member

Well I think I finally got the picture to upload on my earlier post. Let me know if it still isn't there.