Knife Steel

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Vin, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Vin

Vin Admin

What is your experience with the different knife steels? AUS-8, D2, A2, etc etc.

Post up your use and wear results.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Firearm Collector

Knife Steel Comparison Charts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

Honestly for most EDC applications I like anything above 440.
    I've use 8Cr13Mov, VG-10, AUS-8, and they are all great, IF you take care of your knives. Keep em clean and touch them up with with a quality sharpening system and maybe a touch of oil now and again and you'll never have a problem

Although... a $5 gas station knife can be a great beater. there are some tasks I'd rather not use my good blades for and just use some crap to get the job done, and if its ruined I'm not out much.

4. Vin

Vin Admin

Nice! Thanks for the charts Shooter and advice Slot! I needed a comparison chart like that. I downloaded them. Ha!

5. J-Will

J-Will ermahgerd perrkerd

I only have experience with 13C26 stainless and AUS 8 stainless.
    I've carried the AUS 8 every day for a year and a half now and I swear to you it has never been sharpened. Has some dings from chopping but still gets the job done. I honestly will have to take it somewhere to have it sharpened as I don't know how to with this blade shape.. The 13C26 takes a great edge but after a month or so it needs it again.

6. BlacksmithKevin

BlacksmithKevin New Member

Don't forget good old carbon steel. 1095 and O1 make great knifes. That's if you are making them instead of buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Paracord Forum

7. J-Will

HardcoreSlot makes knives! Here are two of them from him. HardcoreSlot, I forgot to ask, what are these made of? I've been asked a few times now lol

Attached Files:

8. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Do you have any micarta? If so make a nice set of micarta scales. Or even use some G10 to make some scales. (I'm no knife making expert).

9. BlacksmithKevin

BlacksmithKevin New Member

Tang looks real stubby. Might have issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Paracord Forum

10. Brian

Brian New Member

Went you tubing the other day and most mention leaf springs as very good metal to use in knives

Brian

11. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

hey sorry man, didnt see this till today.
    the big on is made out of a farrier's rasp. it should similar to 1095.

The little one is some random plate steel I was able to come up with, all I know is it is HARD. REEEEEEALY hard.....

hope they are doin you well!

As for leaf springs, they are good but there is a lot of work in them .you have to cut them and forge them out and they are HARD too. with out a big forge and a oxy torch they are just too unweildly for me. Also the nearest junk yard is 100mi
    -_-

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  12. J-Will

Other than the scar I'm gonna have on my middle finger.... All is well! haha

13. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

haha, welp i guess if I dont make a mark on the industry I'll have made a mark somwhere!

14. J-Will

haha! Thats great. I plan on getting some kydex and trying to make a 1911 mag/knife sheath/holder-thingy. Gonna use the big one with the wrap.. We will see how that goes... It don't wanna fit in the sheath now that I wrapped it lol.

15. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

Damn. i didnt think of that, lol. i made it so the retention was in the front part of that cut out, LOL.

16. J-Will

haha I know. Oh well. I might just get a heat gun and reshape it a little. I've never used kydex, and I don't have the tool to install the rivet/hole things... (if there even is a tool for that)

17. Brian

Brian New Member

Scian - Irish for knife , pronounced like sshkkian

Brian

18. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

There is a tool for that. You can get one from any home improvement store. It's called a rivet tool, rivet punch, rivet gun.