First project

Discussion in 'Completed Projects & Ideas' started by Apyl, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Ok so I made the bracelets for our 4-H fundraiser :) I made 26 bracelets (23 in the pic the kids and I were wearing ours) some are 7 1/2" some 8" , some have clip closures and some the velcro.

Attached Files:

2. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Member

looks good to me. nice n clean!

3. MidwestCord

MidwestCord New Member

Are you hooked now? : )

4. TwinSpar

TwinSpar New Member

Couple of questions on the velcro closures. Did you set them up on a jig? Any lessons learned from using them?

I just got in an order of them but haven't played with them yet.

5. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I did them all in hand, I don't have all the fancy tools yet ;) . I did notice the Velcro clips are pretty scratchy so I had to go through and melt some corners on the insides. I like the polished look of the clips better. No real tricks needed, once I made the first one it was super easy from that point on.

6. Apyl

Apyl New Member

lol Definitely! I'm thinking the dog needs a new collar.

7. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Nice. How long did it take to make all those?
    How much cord did you use total?
    How did you know what wrist sizes to make?

The reason for the questions is I might be making bracelets for my nephew (by marriage) wheelchair basketball team.

8. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I used 100' of white and 100' of red, I used 3' of each color for each bracelet with about 4 to 5 inches of scrap of each color on each bracelet. So I could have went a little shorter on the cord used but I just stayed with 3' for ease. I guessed with the size. I found a website that showed how to make a 7 1/2" bracelet , so once I made one I had my daughter try on the size and it was a good fit so I just kept making them that size. I did some in 8" for larger kids and adults just in case. I chose 8" because it fit my wrist. In all it took around 8 hours to do I guess I received the cord in the mail Thursday night and worked on them for a couple hours, then worked on them the next day and was done by 2pm, I also delt with kids, dinner, baths , ect So it could have been done in less time. I did have issues in the beginning with melting the cord together, once I changed lighters they melted fine. The other lighter kept making the melted spot black.

Here is the website I used http://theworldaccordingto*******bl...wToMakeTwoColorCobraKnotParacordBracelet.html

I used paracordplanet.com used a promo code they had on facebook and spent $23 for all materials, so not bad considering they are selling for $5 each.

9. TwinSpar

TwinSpar New Member

I made my own jig for next to nothing. I had the wood, screws, nuts and bolts on hand. All I had to spring for was the little nylon loops for securing the buckles. The investment is well worth the time that it saves on making bracelets as well as the improved consistency of what you make.

Like you... I like the finished look of the buckles but bought the velcro so I can surprise some family/friends with bracelets and don't have to worry about getting wrist sizes from them.

10. ThreeJ

ThreeJ Member

Wow Apyl, those really look Great.

11. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Very nice.

12. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Yes a jig makes it easier. I still tie some things without the jig but I mostly use the jig.

I'm working on a pocket jig that I might start selling.

13. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I'll have to check out some, I have some wood left over from an old shed I can cut up.

14. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

Now I need a monkey fist jig and I'll be set.