Binoculars/camera breakaway

Discussion in 'Completed Projects & Ideas' started by Technog33k, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Technog33k

Technog33k New Member

Finished up a breakaway lanyard for binoculars (or camera, etc). Need to do a better end knot though before the breakaway piece. Overall though I'm fairly happy. ImageUploadedByParacord Forum1398018634.811098.jpg ImageUploadedByParacord Forum1398018648.965832.jpg ImageUploadedByParacord Forum1398018658.701815.jpg

Norm - Technog33k

2. Mil_HandF

Mil_HandF New Member

Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Paracord Forum

3. flareside_ford94

flareside_ford94 New Member

Looks good but I would just as soon not have a piece of optics on a breakaway cord

4. Mil_HandF

Mil_HandF New Member

Better to have it break away then choke to death! I know a guy that fell down a hill and died that way.

5. Technog33k

Technog33k New Member

Here's the deal with it though. It's a tough breakaway. I tested it by putting it on, raising the binocs as high as I could get them without taking them off. Then sort of threw them downwards (little more force than just letting them go). They held fine. But when tugging hard on them, the snap opens. The snaps that I found at Marshalls are tough. If you put them together with nothing to give you leverage on them, they're a bitc* to get open. But when needed, the right amount of force will pull them off.

6. flareside_ford94

flareside_ford94 New Member

Good point wouldn't want that. I barely move with binoculars around my neck always put them in a pouch and when i have a camera I carry it like a shoulder bag.

SInce you tested them probably not a problem but still a little bit of a concern to me.

7. Mil_HandF

Mil_HandF New Member

Binos or you life, life wins every time for me. I can always replace binos, might even give me an excuse for a new pair lol.

8. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

That's why I don't like to walk around with binoculars or a camera around my neck.

9. DaBigKahuna

DaBigKahuna New Member

One of my pet peeves. the breakaway should be on one of the sides of the loop and NOT behind the neck. The friction of one's skin and the angles of the curvature of the neck will keep the breakaway from working correctly.

10. MrParacord

MrParacord Moderator

I never thought of it that way. Now that I think about it I've seen those ID lanyards with the breakaway on the side as well as the back.
    I think it looks better in the back seeing as it hides the breakaway.

11. DaBigKahuna

DaBigKahuna New Member

Looks better but if it doesn't work when you need it, it defeats the purpose.

12. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Regardless of all that, nice job, Mon!

13. Technog33k

Technog33k New Member

Thanks Gumpy.

Norm - Technog33k